When the owner does not have the opportunity to gasify the living space, and heating with solid fuel seems inconvenient, there is one more option left – to do the electric heating of a private house with your own hands. At first glance, heating a house with an electric boiler will seem unprofitable for many, but if you approach the issue correctly, you can create a fairly optimal electric heating at home. And in combination with state benefits, such a project will be no less profitable than heating with a gas boiler.
Advantages and disadvantages of electric heating
Advantages of electric heating systems:
- Small investment in the initial purchase of a boiler and heating system;
- Ease of installation, thanks to which you can create electric heating with your own hands;
- Efficiency up to 99%
- Environmental friendliness, clean air in the house;
- Automation with support for daily temperature regimes;
- Temperature control within a couple of degrees;
- There is no need to purchase and store fuel;
- No special permits are needed to install the system in the walls/floor of a house;
- Noiselessness of work;
- No risk of explosion or fuel leakage;
- With proper installation and operation, it is completely safe.
The main disadvantage of any electric home heating is the dependence on uninterrupted electricity. It is also worth understanding that heating a large house requires the preliminary installation of a three-phase electrical network with a voltage of 380 V and a current of at least 25 A.
Oddly enough, the last thing you should be afraid of is the price of electricity. Today, this disadvantage of electric heating is practically leveled with the help of:
- Preferential tariffs for energy from the state;
- Competent arrangement of heating;
- Thermal insulation of floors and use of heat recuperators;
- Control of air temperature norms in vacant premises;
- Combined heating connections;
- Use of heat meters, etc.
How to make electric heating at home?
To install electric heating in a private house with your own hands, you need a heating project – you can also create it yourself, but it is better to delegate this process to employees of a climate company. In this case, the package of documents will include all the necessary information, including:
1) Details of the selection and installation of the electric boiler
Depending on the size of the premises, the architectural features of the building and the natural heat loss, a boiler is selected, the energy of which is enough for electric heating of the entire house. When choosing, the functionality of the boiler, its dimensions and design are also taken into account – everything must comply with the terms of reference of the project.
Installation of an electric boiler involves mounting the unit on the wall. The choice of a room is made taking into account these recommendations:
- For installation, it is better to use a separate technical room in order to limit access to power equipment, as well as to protect the unit from moisture.
- The unit is installed so that the main line does not stretch through the entire corridor or another room. Implementation is possible, but why do you need additional waste, a damaged interior and extra loads on the pump?
- When mounting the heat generator on the wall, a heat-insulating sheet is laid under its back, as indicated in the technical documentation;
- Locate the boiler so as to provide easy access to key components of the system for repair or maintenance;
- The cables in the floor are laid higher than the water or sewer pipes, so that, due to a water breakthrough, the electric heating of the house is not flooded;
2) Correct boiler piping scheme
Proper installation and piping of the boiler will allow you to consistently maintain a comfortable temperature at home. The approach will allow you to evenly distribute heat loads, so that all radiators will warm up evenly and efficiently. The binding scheme usually includes:
- Safety and check valves;
- Brackets, tubes and their connections;
- A variety of equipment: pressure gauges, thermometers, counters;
- Expansion tanks;
- Pumps for accelerating water flows in the circuit;
- Filters of different degree of purification.
3) Distribution of heating around the house
The heating distribution system around the house is a scheme of pipes and radiators that heat the air in the house to a comfortable temperature. Depending on the type of building, budget and requirements, one-pipe, two-pipe or radiant heating scheme can be assembled. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice is made on the basis of preliminary calculations and advice from microclimate experts.
4) Installation of additional equipment for electric heating
In addition to the boiler and the radiator system, do-it-yourself electric heating in a private house can be implemented through an air heat pump, infrared panels or autonomous electric convectors. By combining a variety of equipment, you can make electric heating many times more efficient than gas, which is usually equal, based on the cost of electric heating at home for one season.